X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick@midtel.net
    • Sep 2002

Websphere Newbee - CODE/400

I have spent nearly three days this week getting WDT up and running here. I applied all the appropriateV5R1 iSeries PTFs, Got SP5 up on the workstation, etc. It is running stable now; however trying to understand how it works/how to use is nearly impossible. I have searched all over the place.... IBM Online Ed, Redbooks, WDT400 website, Amazon.com for books, etc. There is really NOTHING so far as a primer on CODE/400. There is alot of details there. The only thing I could find with substance was a book copywrited 2000 called "Understanding CODE/400 on AS/400. Is that all there is? Isn't there a major push to replace ADTS with CODE/400 or am I just suffering from reading various IBM marketing info during my three day search? ) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3470166/glance /103-6082075-6863046 I really want to begin using it as a consideration for migrating code RPG over to Java; and the "supposed" productivity improvement that is supposed to be there. For now, I just want to get to know the product by using the DDS Designer for PRTF's and DSPF's and RPG/CL Editing with the Editor. I am approaching a level of frustration that is going to make me just give up at this point. The lack of information available, and the fact that IBM is begining to call these tools "Classic" is making me want to stick with SEU and forget it... Somebody please point me in the right direction to get me started. I would hate to give up if the is a volume of people using it out there and it does have a future. Thank you.. Rick Nardone rick@midtel.net
  • john@thejoiners.net
    • Oct 2024

Rick, Please, don't give up! You're right, there's not a lot of really good documentation on Code, but it is worth the effort to learn it. I'm not sure how everyone else learned, but for me it was just learn by doing, making mistakes, posting messages to newsgroups and e-mail lists, taking sessions at COMMON, etc. I am advocating that our shop use Code as our standard development platform, and as such have proposed to management that we bring in someone to conduct training on the tool. My perference is to bring in someone from Partner/400 (Jon Paris/Susan Gartner), as they are very knowledgeable about Code. Hopefully someday there will be good documentation for Code, but in the meantime, use whatever means are available to you to learn the tool, it is worh it. John. "Rick Nardone" wrote in message news:adnvfv$va6$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I have spent nearly three days this week getting WDT up and running here. I > applied all the appropriateV5R1 iSeries PTFs, Got SP5 up on the workstation, > etc. It is running stable now; however trying to understand how it > works/how to use is nearly impossible. I have searched all over the > place.... IBM Online Ed, Redbooks, WDT400 website, Amazon.com for books, > etc. There is really NOTHING so far as a primer on CODE/400. There is > alot of details there. The only thing I could find with substance was a > book copywrited 2000 called "Understanding CODE/400 on AS/400. Is that all > there is? Isn't there a major push to replace ADTS with CODE/400 or am I > just suffering from reading various IBM marketing info during my three day > search? ) > > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3470166/glance > /103-6082075-6863046 > > I really want to begin using it as a consideration for migrating code RPG > over to Java; and the "supposed" productivity improvement that is supposed > to be there. For now, I just want to get to know the product by using the > DDS Designer for PRTF's and DSPF's and RPG/CL Editing with the Editor. I am > approaching a level of frustration that is going to make me just give up at > this point. > > The lack of information available, and the fact that IBM is begining to call > these tools "Classic" is making me want to stick with SEU and forget it... > > Somebody please point me in the right direction to get me started. I would > hate to give up if the is a volume of people using it out there and it does > have a future. > > Thank you.. > > Rick Nardone > rick@midtel.net > >

Comment

• batthish@ca.ibm.com
      • Oct 2024

Hi Rick, The following course/tutorials/presentations are available on-line for download: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ad/wdt...downloads.html Hope this helps! Violaine Batthish CODE Project Lead Toronto Lab, IBM Canada

Comment

• Guest.Visitor

Rick, I ran into the same problem when I first started using CODE400. I searched web sites to no avail. However, I finally found that the best documentation was installed on my PC as part of the WDT/400 install. There is even a tutorial. Try the following path from the windows button: The CODE400 tutorial: ,,,, The detailed CODE400 documentation: ,,,,,+Components,+Editor Lastly, ,,,,,+Components,+CODE400 The more I use CODE400, the more I like it (not withstanding the painstakingly long wait for lists in the file open dialog). Stephen West ================================================== ======== Rick Nardone wrote in message news:adnvfv$va6$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I have spent nearly three days this week getting WDT up and running here. I > applied all the appropriateV5R1 iSeries PTFs, Got SP5 up on the workstation, > etc. It is running stable now; however trying to understand how it > works/how to use is nearly impossible. I have searched all over the > place.... IBM Online Ed, Redbooks, WDT400 website, Amazon.com for books, > etc. There is really NOTHING so far as a primer on CODE/400. There is > alot of details there. The only thing I could find with substance was a > book copywrited 2000 called "Understanding CODE/400 on AS/400. Is that all > there is? Isn't there a major push to replace ADTS with CODE/400 or am I > just suffering from reading various IBM marketing info during my three day > search? ) > > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3470166/glance > /103-6082075-6863046 > > I really want to begin using it as a consideration for migrating code RPG > over to Java; and the "supposed" productivity improvement that is supposed > to be there. For now, I just want to get to know the product by using the > DDS Designer for PRTF's and DSPF's and RPG/CL Editing with the Editor. I am > approaching a level of frustration that is going to make me just give up at > this point. > > The lack of information available, and the fact that IBM is begining to call > these tools "Classic" is making me want to stick with SEU and forget it... > > Somebody please point me in the right direction to get me started. I would > hate to give up if the is a volume of people using it out there and it does > have a future. > > Thank you.. > > Rick Nardone > rick@midtel.net > >

Comment

• JonFParis
          • Oct 2024

Rick - we (Partner400) have a (relatively) brief Code/400 Quick Start Guide that I would be pleased to send you - and anyone else who e-mails me privately. Should help you get up-and-running. Please note I do _not_ follow this list daily so I will not be able to respond to posts here. Private e-mail only please. Jon Paris Jon.Paris@Partner400.com "Rick Nardone" wrote in message news:adnvfv$va6$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I have spent nearly three days this week getting WDT up and running here. I > applied all the appropriateV5R1 iSeries PTFs, Got SP5 up on the workstation, > etc. It is running stable now; however trying to understand how it > works/how to use is nearly impossible.............

Comment

Working...
          X